Symptom, Causes, Treatment
Bulimia is an eating disorder
in which huge amounts of food are
expend, and an
with food, weight gain and body size.
by episodes of binge-eating
of weight control (purging).
These feelings often
of laxatives, and overexercising
later on the binge.
Bulimia nervosa generally starts in adolescence or
adulthood. Like anorexia nervosa, bulimia
females. Only ten percent to 15 percent of
individuals are male.
People with bulimia can
normal. Most of them are of
may be overweight. Women with bulimia
young women, and is
to be a manifestation of
with depression and anxiety-Bouts of bulimia
in people with anorexia nervosa, who
between starvation diets and eating binges. Bulimics
as emaciated as anorexics.
Signs and Symptoms of Bulimia
Here are the list of
sign and symptoms of :
- Eating intractable, purging, strict dieting, fasting,
- Vomiting or abusing laxatives or diuretics in an
- Preoccupation with body weight
- Depression or mood swings. Feeling out of control.
- Swollen glands in neck and face
- Heartburn, bloating, indigestion, constipation
difficulty, sore throat
- Weakness, exhaustion bloodshot eyes
Harmonise to the World Health Organisation, the
for a diagnosis of bulimia nervosa
- persistent preoccupation with eating and an
craving for food.
- episodes of overeating in which
amounts of food are
periods of time.
- inordinate exercise,
vomiting after eating, starving for periods of time or
medicines such as laxatives or diuretics to counteract the bingeing.
- reverence of obesity, which is also
in people with anorexia nervosa, and there is
overlap in the symptoms of these two diseases.
Causes of Bulimia
reason of bulimia is
unidentified. However, most people with bulimia nervosa
body weight. Patients with bulimia nervosa
from low self-esteem.
with dissatisfaction of the person's body and
with body size and shape. Bulimia is not the
thing as anorexia which is self-imposed starvation. The anorexic is
thin, has a distorted body image and has an
fear of acquire weight.
Treatment of Bulimia
Here is the list of
treatment option of treating bulimia by
methods and therapies:
- cognitive behavioural therapy, a form of psychological therapy, is an
- admission to an eating disorders treatment program may
the individual let go of their behaviors so they can
- Group therapy is especially effective for college-aged and young adult women
- support groups may be
as they can be
for as long as
essential, have flexible schedules, and generally have no charge.
- Antidepressant medication can also be
at treating the symptoms of bulimia nervosa.
Complications of bulimia
Intricacy of bulimia include
- Swelling and soreness in the salivary glands (from repeated vomiting).
- Stomach Ulcers.
- Ruptures of the stomach and esophagus.
- Abnormal buildup of fluid in the intestines.
- disorders of body chemistry from malnutrition or
purging and vomiting;
- hoarseness and
intense breakage to teeth from repeated vomiting;
- menstrual disturbances;
- muscle spasms or fits;
of heart and kidney function, very
seldom, death from rupture of the stomach can
- Erosion of tooth enamel because of repeated susceptibility to acidic gastric contents.
- Dental cavities, sensitivity to hot or cold food.
- Disruption in the
- Irregular heartbeat and in
cases heart attack
What are the types of bulimia?
There are two types of bulimia,
on how the person with bulimia compensates for the binge eating:
- Purging type of bulimia - The person
a diuretic, laxative, or enema to
food from the body, as a
- Nonpurging type of bulimia - The person with bulimia does not purge food from the body, but
fasts or engages in
What are the effects of bulimia?
result. Some of the
of bulimia include:
- an imbalance in electrolytes;
- irritation of the esophagus, salivary glands, and jaw;
with teeth, gums, and lips;
to abusive laxatives;
- feelings of shame and guilt;
family and social relationships.