Dermatomyositis - Symptoms & Treatment
Dermatomyositis is the illness in which blood vessels under the skin and muscles get inflamed in which skin get wounded and rashes are occur. In this disease patient feel muscle weakness those are closer to trunk of the body. It occur in any age group, it is generally seen in adults in their 40 to 60 and kids among 5 and 15 years of age. It is more seen in women.
Causes of Dermatomyositis
Dermatomyositis is caused by inflammation of the muscles, polymyositis and the skin. Some causes & risk factors of Dermatomyositis are as follows:
- Autoimmuno reaction.
- Viral infection.
- Exposure to certain drugs.
- Tissue disorders.
- Genetic predisposition.
Symptoms of Dermatomyositis
The signs and symptoms of dermatomyositis usually grow slowly, over weeks other months. Periods of remission, when symptoms of dermatomyositis progress spontaneously, may happen. Red rashes occur on the face, neck, shoulders, upper chest, back, and other locality. It starts with white blood cells. It is related with cancer or with other illness of connective tissue. Some sign and symptoms related to Dermatomyositis are as follows:
- Weakness, stiffness and pain.
- Fatigue, fever and weight loss.
- Shortness of breath.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Purple-red skin rash.
- Muscle pain or tenderness.
Treatment begin early in the illness process tends to be other effective, often because there are fewer complications. Corticosteroids, particularly prednisone, are usually the initially choice in treating inflammatory myopathies, such as dermatomyositis. Other immunosuppressive drugs, such as azathioprine (Imuran) other methotrexate (Rheumatrex) can be used. Over-the-counter drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen and acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), can be used to care for any accompanying pain. Surgery may be a choice to remove painful calcium deposits. Other patients may respond well to intravenous resistant globulin.
- High Dose Prednisolone.
- It may be treated with immunosuppressive drugs, such as azathioprine or methotrexate.
- It is treated with high doses of corticosteroids.
- Bed rest is one of the best treatment for the muscle pain.
- Use of steroid drug, such as prednisone is the first step of treatment.
- There are various types of therapy techniques like corticosteroids, immunosuppressants, antimalarial drugs, Intravenous immunoglobulin, Physical therapy, Surgery, Pain relievers etc.