Poison Ivy - Symptoms & Treatment
Poison ivy is a frequent wild plant that causes an enormously irritating allergic reaction when you touch it or brush against it. Poison ivy is an irritation because it contains a chemical that can cause the skin of persons sensitive to it to extend a red, itchy rash and even erupt in blisters. The poison ivy plant contains oil known as urushiol. Nearly all people are allergic to it. Not everyone "get" poison ivy. If your body does not build up an allergic reaction, then you can swim in urushiol and it will have no effect. It turns out, however, that the greater part of people's immune systems react to urushiol after several exposures. You cannot acquire poison ivy unless you come in contact with the sap that restrains urushiol. However, it is extremely easy to come in contact with it. You can acquire it from the plants itself.
Poison ivy has two likewise nasty relatives: poison oak and poison sumac. Poison oak is more frequently found west of the Rockies , generally as a small bush but at times as a climbing vine. Its leaves are smooth-edged and cluster in set of three, five, or seven. This form can be rather unpleasant but does not pose serious health risks. Poison sumac is most repeatedly established in wet areas of the Southeast. Poison ivy symptoms frequently emerge within 24-48 hours of exposure. You may be able to edge the symptoms if you wash the affected area instantly with soap and cool water. Cure for poison ivy generally contains self-care techniques to reduce the itching until the reaction goes away.
Causes of Poison ivy
Some causes & risk factors of Poison ivy are as follows:
- Contact with oil (urushiol) establish in poison ivy.
- Touching clothing or other substance that have contact the plants.
- Disclosure to the smoke of burning plants.
- Touching pets or other animals that have get in touch with the plants.
Symptoms of Poison ivy
The possible symptoms of Poison ivy includes:
- Itching rash that usually emerge within 24-72 hours.
- The rash may be established anywhere on the body that has contacted the oil from the plant. It can have any shape or pattern, but is often in straight lines or streaks transversely the skin.
- Blisters filled by fluid that may overflow.
- Tiny bumps or bigger raised areas (hives).
Treatments of Poison ivy
Most cases of the rash can be self-treated using calamine liniment or over-the-counter ointments and creams containing zinc oxide. Applying cold compresses for 15 to 30 minutes at a time several times a day will assist with the itching and blistering. A baking soda paste (3 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of water) can be used to the rash, and colloidal oatmeal baths (e.g., Aveeno) can also give relief. When the rash is stern, for instance when it affects the face or causes extensive blistering, oral steroids (such as, prednisone) can help construct rapid improvement. The itching may also be cured systemically by either an antihistamine or aspirin.